Toasted Swiss Meringue Cookie Cup
These cookie cups are so pretty they look almost to good to eat! Almost! Add any filling you desire such as, chocolate and peanut butter, PB&J, Nutella, or even fresh baked brownies. Top them off with some whipped cream or my personal favorite, toasted swiss meringue. There are endless fillings you could choose from to accommodate anyone's preferences, or perhaps to suite a holiday themed dessert table. I would love to hear what combination you decided to go with. Check out my "Dark Chocolate Brownie" recipe for to use for a brownie cookie cup. https://www.sweetandsavoury.ca/post/dark-chocolate-brownies
Stuffed Cookie Cups
1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
1/2 Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 Large Egg
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
Stages of Cookie Cup Dough
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Grease a 12 serving non stick muffin pan
- Whisk together your dry ingredients (except sugar) and set aside.
- Cream your butter for 1 min.
- Add sugar to butter and cream together.
- Then add, your egg and vanilla, whip till combined.
- Add to your dry ingredients and fold together.
- Using your hands, evenly divide dough into 12 balls, and place in your prepared muffin pan.
- Press the dough up the sides of the pan using your fingers.
- If you have baking weights or beans, cut out round parchment paper disks to place on top of each cookie base, then distribute weights amongst each cookie.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- If you don't have weights that's ok, bake as directed above then at the 10 minute mark,
Cookie Cups and Fillings
remove the hot pan from the oven and using the back side of a spoon, push the soft partially baked dough back up the sides of each muffin compartment. (watch my video to see how I did this https://youtu.be/0VvK1WHG31o ) Then bake for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan. - Once cooled, fill with desired fillings. I opted for homemade brownies, PB&J, Nutella, and Chocolate Peanut Butter.
- Then top with whip cream of Swiss meringues.
- Gently remove your cookie cups using an off set spatula to loosen them from the side. (I did this after filling each cup but one can opt to remove them once cooled if you prefer).
For The Swiss Meringue
4 Egg Whites
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
1/8 Tsp Cream of Tartar
- Be sure all bowls and utensils are clean and free of grease or fats (wipe clean with a paper towel and vinegar)
Toasted Swiss Meringue Topped Cookie Cups
- Over a double boiler (or pot and glass bowel), whisk egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar together. Stirring constantly allowing the sugar to dissolve without cooking the eggs.
- Once the sugar has dissolved (rub a few drops between your fingers to feel for any grittiness) add to a stand mixer. - - Whip starting on low speed and gradually increasing to speed 6 to 8 (total 2 min to get up to med high speed). Allow to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Transfer into piping bag fitted with a large tip.
- Gently pip on top of your filled cookie cups.
- Optional - Toast the outside of your meringue using a Brule/kitchen torch.
Check out my you tube channel "Sweet and Savoury @hollysrecipes22" to see how these were made.
Whether it's Sweet or Savoury, let it be made with love!