This tangy yet creamy homemade tomato soup, is super easy to make and requires items that you likely have sitting in your cupboards. To keep things simple, I used canned tomatoes, but you can use fresh tomatoes as well; just peel the skins off before hand. You could also easily turn this into a smoky tomato and peppers soup by adding some smoked bell peppers to the mix. We enjoy this will a grilled cheese sandwich on the side, and it is delicious. With a dollop of sour cream added and some shredded cheese, this soup has a comforting taste but is also refreshing and light. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
2 Cans diced tomatoes
1 Large, diced onion
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Head of fresh garlic, peeled and minced
1 Tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Heaping tbsp beef stock powder (can substitute with a carton of beef stock)
2 Cups water (hold if using beef stock carton instead)
1 Tsp basil
1 Tsp parsley
1 Tsp salt
1 Tsp fresh ground pepper
1 Cup heavy cream
1/4 Cup sour cream
1 Cup shredded cheese (for topping)
Sprinkle of thinly sliced fresh green onion (for topping)
- Add to a large pot, your large diced onion and a tbsp or so of oil. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and cooked 2 minutes. Then add your minced garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add your 2 cans of diced tomatoes (including liquid) as well as your water, beef stock powder, Worcestershire sauce and spices. Simmer for at least 1 hour stirring occasionally.
- Serve into bowls and swirl some sour cream into the soup, then sprinkle with shredded cheese and a few pieces of thinly sliced green onions.
- Add your whipping cream and stir together.
- Serve into bowl and swirl some sour cream into the soup, then sprinkle with shredded cheese and a few pieces of thinly sliced green onions.
- serve hot and enjoy with your favorite sides such as a grilled cheese sandwich or crackers.
I hope you enjoy this soup as much my family has.
Whether it's Sweet or Savoury, let it me made with Love!