Sweet, savory, chewy, yet soft, with ham, melted cheese and a drizzle of warm syrup, this sandwich has it all. Excite your taste buds with a delicious Monty Cristo Sandwich. Even better, use fresh baked bread, such as my white bread recipe, which soaked up the eggs perfectly (https://www.sweetandsavoury.ca/post/white-bread). Make it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner and you wont be disappointed.
- 2 Slices of Bread (I used my fresh baked "white bread")
- 3 to 4 Slices Ham (luncheon meat)
- Slice of Mozzarella Cheese (or your favorite cheese)
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 to 2 Tbsp Powder Sugar, for dusting
- Maple Syrup, for drizzle, warmed
- 2 Tbsp butter (for frying)
- Apple and Hazelnut Spread, optional side
- Add eggs, milk and vanilla to a bowl, and whip together.
- Soak your 2 slices of bread in the egg batter. Allow the bread to soak up a decent amount of liquid before removing.
- Using a pan large enough to fit both pieces of bread, over medium heat, add 2 tbsp of butter. Once butter is melted, add your egg soaked bread. Flip once golden brown and crispy.
- Once flipped, add your slices of mozzarella cheese and ham to one slice of bread. Cover and reduce to low heat to allow cheese to melt.
- Put the sandwich together and remove from heat.
- Dust the top with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and a drizzle of warm maple syrup.
- Pair well with a side of sliced apple and hazelnut spread.
- Eat hot, and enjoy
Check out my you tube channel "Sweet and Savoury @hollysrecipes22" to see how it was made. https://youtu.be/k_He2LLM2rg
Whether it's Sweet or Savoury, let it be made with love!