Updated: Apr 5, 2022
The first time I made these bagels it was love at first taste. Lets just say they disappeared within a day and I was quick to make a 2nd batch. They smell amazing and have a soft interior and crave worthy crispy exterior. There is no "knead" to worry about proofing and kneading this dough as your bread machine does it all perfectly for you. If you like sweet or savoury bagels, that's okay, this recipe is versatile and you can add whatever flavor's you like to it. My favorite so far is cheesy garlic and onion and that is the flavors I will detail in this recipe.
TIPS AND TRICKS if you are planning to add what i like to call "heavier ingredient" such as chocolate chips or raisins, add an extra 1/4 tsp of yeast to the batter.
- I found that the chocolate chips and cheese ended up melting in the bread machine and I needed to add them after they had proofed instead. Having said that adding a 1/4 cup adds some cheese flavour as well so can add it both during and after proofing. Once the dough is finished in the bread machine, GENTLY fold your "heavy ingredients" into the dough before adding flour for shaping. if you do this on a floured surface, you will end up working more flour into the dough making it dry. I recommend doing this right in the bread machine pan. Lightly coating your hands in oil or a light dusting of flour, may help reduce the dough from sticking to your hands.
-Sometime for whatever reason if your dough appears too dry, add a tablespoon or so of extra warm water to the bread machine while it is still in the kneading stage (start of the process). This is not a super wet dough however but if it looks as though its not coming together smoothly, then an extra tablespoon wont hurt.
-Portion the dough into 8 or 9 balls . Shape all the balls first and then return back to the first ball you shaped to then turn them into the bagel shape. This will allow the dough to rest a bit between each step.
- Be sure to not over boil the bagels. I set a timer for 2min, 1min each side for each batch I boil. If you leave them in for too long they can get too chewy or deflate once baked in the oven. I have found 2 Min to be the best time frame for the perfect texture.
- If you don't have egg whites for glazing the tops of the bagels, that's okay, cooking oil is a great substitute and provides a crispy finish.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
Bread machine, large pot for boiling bagels, cookie sheet, parchment paper, food brush for egg/oil wash, slotted spoon, measuring cups and spoons, cutting board, knife and cheese grater.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and these bagels as much as my family and I have. Please feel free to leave a comment if you gave it a try or have any tips, tricks or questions of your own.
Cheesy Bread Machine Bagels
1 cup warm water (110F)
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
3 cups bread flour or all purpose flour
2 1/4 tsp instant yeast or bread machine yeast
Optional: 1 tbsp onion powder, 1tbsp garlic powder, 1/2 small cubed cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup shredded cheese for tops
3 quarts/large pot, boiling water
3 tbsp sugar
1 egg white or 1/4 cooking oil
- Preheat the oven to 425F
- Place water, salt, sugar, flour, yeast and dry seasoning's into bread machine in this order. Select the dough setting
- Once complete, add your heavy ingredients and then place out onto a floured surface.
- Meanwhile bring water to a boil adding 3tbsp of sugar.
- Cut dough into 8 or 9 equal piece's and roll into a ball shape. You can make more (the most I have made is 12) but they will end up thinner.
- Returning to the first formed ball, flatten in out poke a whole in the center with your thumb shaping it into a bagel gently with your hands.
- Cover the shaped bagels on your floured work surface and let them rest for 30min.
- Place a cooling rack with a clean tea towel or paper towel on top ready near your boiling water. Carefully place your bagels in batches into the water and set timer for 2 min min flipping them over at the 1min mark. After 2 min remove from water and place on cooling rack and tea towel to remove excess water.
- Then place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and brush with egg wash or cooking oil. I like to add shredded cheese to the tops her.
- Place bagels in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 min until golden brown. (Each oven is different so keep an eye on them to adjust the cook time as needed).
- Last but not least, remove and enjoy with your desired spread. I found these delicious toasted and slathered in butter. Be prepared to eat more then one.
Check out my video on my social links or YouTube as well.
Whether it's Sweet or Savoury, it's made with love.