Updated: Nov 2
If a tortilla and a pita got together and had a baby, this would be it! Store bought tortillas will do the job, but I find they are a bit chewy, dry and have a sour preservative taste to them. These homemade tortillas are delicious, fresh and have a fluffiness to them that is so irresistible. With very few ingredients, a few minutes of kneading and a quick roll and fry, you will be glad you put in the effort, instead of wasting your money on pre made wraps. We enjoyed these for Taco night and my husband loved them so much, he had some extra ones with a smearing of his favorite dipping sauce. I hope you enjoy these as much as me and my family have. Leave me a comment and let me know what you think.
4 cups all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon salt 2 teaspoons baking powder 2 tablespoons lard 1 ½ cups water
-In a large bowl, whisk together your flour, salt, and baking powder. Then add the lard.
-Using your hands, work the flour and lard together until you reach a crumb consistency.
-Next add the water. Work together until the mixture takes on a dough like appearance.
-Turn out onto a lightly floured clean surface.
-Work the dough until it becomes smooth and elastic. Approximately 2 to 3 minutes. The dough will start out feeling a bit lumpy. As you work the dough, it will become smoother and hold its shape.
- Divide the dough into approximately 16 equal pieces, and roll each one into a ball, set aside.
-Preheat a large non stick pan over medium heat with a bit of oil.
- Roll each dough ball into a thin round shaped tortilla.
-Place into the hot pan moving it around a bit in the oil. Cook until bubbly and golden in color. Flip and do the same as the first side. Add more oil if needed.
- Cook all the tortillas and store the left overs in your fridge.
- You can also try these without oil if you prefer, but they won't get the same golden appearance and will be a bit less fluffy.
- These work great for Tacos, dips such a humus or chicken dip, and taste great for any combination of wrap fillings. You could try dusting them with your favorite seasoning and eat them as they are or make mini pizzas by topping with tomato sauce, Pepperoni and cheese.
Whether it's Sweet or Savoury, let it he made with love!