If you are a pizza lover like my family is, then you will love this panzerotti recipe. Delicious homemade dough, filled with gooey cheese, meat and veggies, plus a garlic and herb oil and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, you will be in pizza heaven. Beware these little pizza dream pockets will burn your mouth with that hot lava cheese and sauce filling. It looks way to yummy to allow it any time to cool before taking a bite. This recipe makes 4 large panzerottis or 6 smaller ones. Bryan managed to eat 2 large ones some how, but that was out of shear gluttony. The girls and I were stuffed after sharing one together. The best part about making your own panzerottis, is that you get to fill it with whatever you desire and as much cheese as you want. Let me know what your favorite fillings are in the comments.
For the Dough:
1 1/2 cup water (80 - 90F)
1 Tbsp granular sugar (or honey)
2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 1/2 Tsp salt
4 1/2 Cups all purpose flour (or bread flour)
2 Tsp bread machine yeast (or instant yeast)
For the Oil:
3 Cloves Fresh Minced Garlic
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
Pinch salt and pepper
1 Tbsp Dried Parsley Flakes
Our family classic is mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, green pepper, mozzarella and pan fried salt and pepper mushrooms and onions.
BBQ chicken Pizza substitute classic pizza sauce with your favorite BBQ sauce and top with veggies, cheese and chicken. I like a mix of cheddar and mozzarella for this one.
Alfredo chicken pizza substitute tomato sauce for alfredo sauce and top with sweet onions, chicken, mushrooms, mozzarella and a dusting of cheddar cheese.
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Add listed ingredients for the dough to your bread machine in the order written above.
- Select the dough setting on your bread machine, then press start. Monitor for consistency and add a tbsp of warm water if it appears too dry.
- While you wait for your dough to finish, add 3 fresh cloves of minced garlic, vegetable oil or melted butter, and parsley to a bowl. microwave for 60 seconds and leave out to allow the flavors to marry together.
- Once bread machine is finished, place the dough on a lightly floured surface and divide equally into 4 to 6 balls.
- Roll the dough out then place on a parchment paper lined pan before adding filling. If you have a large flat scooper, you can do the filling our counter and transfer it to the pan afterwards.
- Add to one half of your dough, the
sauce first, then your cheese and other fillings. For these panzerotti's I added classic tomato pizza sauce, pan fried mushrooms and onion, pepperoni and mozzarella cheese.
- Fold the dough in half and pinch the edges together
- Add 2 small openings into the top of each panzerotti to allow steam to escape.
- Allow the prepared panzerotti's to rest 10 min before baking
- Brush the tops and sides with your garlic butter/oil. Try to avoid getting pieces of garlic on the dough at this time.
- In the last 5 minutes of baking, remove from the oven any apply the rest of your oil mix, including the minced garlic pieces.
- Bake on the middle rack for 18 to 20min. Top will be crispy and golden brown.
- Allow to rest 5 to 10 min, then sprinkle the tops with parmesan cheese.
- Caution, these are very hot on the inside. try to resist to allow it too cool a bit before taking a bite.
Whether it's Sweet or Savoury, let it be made with love!