Garlic and Herb French Bread
Updated: Apr 5, 2022
This easy bread machine bread, is savoury in flavour and makes a great companion along a big plate of homemade spaghetti. With garlic, onion, basil and parsley added to this dough, the result is simply delicious. I give credit to my father in law as he helped me to get this together the other day. We decided we would have spaghetti for dinner and wanted to have bread to go with it. I got the dough going and then needed to go into town for some appointments. We looked at the best methods to baking bread in the oven using bread machine dough and came up with this method. He did such a great job at getting the dough divided, shaped and into the pans to proof until I got home. We decided it could use a bit more garlic flavour, so it has doubled to 2 tablespoons plus the addition of fresh garlic. I hope you enjoy this recipe and the memories you make with it.
TIPS AND TRICKS:
- Monitor the dough as it comes together in your bread machine. If it looks too dry add and addition tbsp or so of warm water.
- If its a sunny as it was when we made this bread, place it in the sunshine and let the sun proof the dough for you.
- Don't forget to remove the top rack in your oven or you may find your bread has risen right into it while it bakes.
Yields 2 loafs ( 2lbs)
- 2 Cups Warm Water (90F)
- 2 Tbsp Veg or olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Onion Powder
- 2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 1/2 Tsp Sugar
- 1 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Clove Fresh Minced Garlic
- 5 1/2 Cups flour
- 2 Tsp Bread Machine Yeast
- 1 Egg White (for egg wash)
- Using your bread machine add all ingredients in the order listed above. Select the Dough setting and press start.
- Prepare 2 loaf pans with parchment paper.
- Once the Dough is done, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 2 equal parts.
- Flatten the dough into a square shape then fold it into a rectangle and then fold it again into a square. Then place it into the loaf pan with the folded side down.
- Cover the top of the bread with a light coating of oil and cover with plastic wrap followed by a tea towel.
- Place in a warm area and allow it to rise for at least 1 hour or until doubled in size. ( may take up to 3 hours)
- Pre heat your oven to 400F and make sure it is fully up to temperature before adding the bread.
- Brush the top of the loaves with a light egg wash then place in the oven and bake on the middle rack for 20 minutes
- After 20 minutes brush again with another coating of egg wash and also add a pan with hot water to your oven on the bottom rack.
- Bake again for another 20 minutes until it sounds hollow when knocked on the top.
- Remove to a cooling rack and enjoy!
Whether its Sweet or Savoury, let it be made with love!