Updated: Nov 2
This crispy deep fried banana sundae, with peanut butter, Nutella, ice cream, whip cream, strawberries and a cherry on top, is the ultimate dessert! One day I was sitting around pondering what to make with some extra banana I had laying around. This was the creation I came up with. And boy was it good. If I had a restaurant I'm pretty sure this would keep the customers coming. My family thoroughly enjoyed this treat and hopefully so will yours.
TIPS AND TRICKS
- Use the straightest bananas you have as they will be easier to get onto the skewer
- Be sure you have enough oil to cover your banana. I was in short supply of oil when i made these and that did cause some of my peanut butter to leak out from the pancake batter as it was frying.
- Top with whatever toppings you like. Swap out the Nutella for some melted chocolate chips or even easier, store bought chocolate sauce.
- Allow the oil to drain off the banana after frying.
- Dust the top of your banana with powder sugar using a mesh strainer or sifter. (optional)
Check out the Full video on my you tube channel https://youtu.be/yQ4ArQO7laE
Per 1 Banana Split
-1 Large Banana (the straighter the better0
-1 Dollop Peanut Butter (creamy)
- 3 Maraschino Cherries
- 3 Fresh Strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 Cup Whip Cream (store bought or fresh)
- 4 Tbsp Nutella
- 4 Cups of Vegetable Oil for frying
- One wood skewer
- Pancake Batter (mixed as directed on the box)
- Optional - Powder sugar to dust top of deep fried banana
- Insert wood skewer into the center of your banana
- Coat banana in peanut butter and freeze for 30 minutes (this prevents the banana from going mushy while being fried)
- Prepare one serving of pancake mix as directed on the box. (approx 1 cup)
- Add enough vegetable oil to a pot to cover your banana. (approx 4 cups) Bring oil up to 350F
- While you wait, wash and slice your strawberries, set aside a few cherries, and Whip your whip cream with a little bit of sugar.
- Make a piping bag out of wax or parchment paper to put your Nutella (or melted chocolate) in for a fancier presentation. Then set aside (watch my you tube video to see how I made the piping bag https://youtu.be/yQ4ArQO7laE )
- Once oil is hot, remove the banana from the freezer and coat in prepared pancake batter. Then carefully slide it off the skewer and into the oil.
- Once lightly browned flip over and then remove onto a draining rack or paper towel. - Add a few scoops of ice cream to a bowl then place your deep fried banana on top. (you can also add a dusting of powdered sugar to the banana) Next, drizzle with your Nutella, a few dollops of whip cream and top it off with fresh strawberries and cherries.
Check out the video on my you tube channel " Sweet and Savoury @hollysrecipes22"
Short version: https://youtu.be/cbeFlCstdzk
Full tutorial: https://youtu.be/yQ4ArQO7laE
Whether it's Sweet or Savoury, let it be made with love!