Updated: Feb 14
This loaf cake is moist and super flavorful. The apple melts right into the cake batter adding a little something extra in the flavor department then just your classic carrot cake. I thought I would top this with a cream cheese frosting, but once I tasted it I realized it didn't need anything. A little spread of butter doesn't hurt though. The kids did not even realize they were eating carrots! When you accidentally buy too many carrots, give this recipe a try.
THINGS YOU WILL NEED
Loaf pan, parchment paper, mixer, measuring utensils and cups, medium bowl, spatula vegetable peeler and box grater and food processor with grater attachment.
TIPS AND TRICKS
- Don't over mix, as with any cakes, over mixing causes them to become very dense.
- Peel your apples and carrots, the skins don't make for a nice texture in cakes.
- These may take longer to bake depending on your oven and how much moisture comes out of the your apple and carrot. Don't worry if it takes longer then in the recipe.
- The next day I like to cut a slice and warm it in the Toaster oven before spreading some butter on top. Makes it a little bit crispy and warm. Yum yum.
Ingredients: 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
¾ tsp salt
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 large eggs
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon juice
1½ cup shredded carrot
1½ cup grated peeled apple
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. - Prepare an 8×4 inch loaf pan with cooking spray, then line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together your dry ingredients; flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon. Set aside.
- Using your mixer, whisk the eggs until light and frothy then add your oil, sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice and beat well for one minute. Add the shredded and peeled carrots, and apples and stir together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and fold them in gently just until combined. Do not over-mix just like with zucchini or banana bread.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 55-65 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to sit in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wore cooling rack. Allow to completely cool before wrapping or placing in a container. Best eaten immediately after cooling with some butter slathered on top.
- Can be kept up to 4 days at room temperature in a container or wrapped.
Whether it's Sweet or Savoury, let it be made with Love.