Updated: Nov 2
This ham bone soup is super hearty and full of delicious ham flavor. There are so many benefits to bone broth including cardiovascular health as there are peptides in cured hams that may have cardioprotective effects (Zahid, H 2019). Some study's have shown that bone broth can also support healthy joints and gut flora as well as reduce inflammation and boost your immune system (Link, R 2022). No wonder we instinctively reach for a bowl of soup when we are sick. it's a super food.
1 Ham Bone
3 to 4 slices of left over ham
8 cups water (approximately)
1 Tbsp Parsley
1 Tbsp Thyme
Basil 1 Tbsp
4 Bay Leaves
Salt and Pepper
6 Cloves Garlic, Minced
3 Large Carrots, peeled and diced
2 Stocks Celery Finley chopped
4 Medium Potatoes, peeled, diced and soaked in water
2 medium Onions, Finley diced
Optional: add 1 can drained and rinsed canned chick peas
Optional: 1 Cup frozen corn or peas
Optional: 1 Tbsp Beef Stock powder
Optional: 3 Tbsp Corn Starch in 3 Tbsp Cool Water
- Add to a large stock pot 1 ham bone, along with 8 cups of water, bay leaves, and pinch of salt and pepper. Simmer for at least 3 hours with the lid on.
- In a separate pan, sauté your onions until fragrant; then add your minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute. To your broth, add your sautéed onions and garlic, as well as the parsley, thyme, basil, carrots, celery, chick peas and 1 Tbsp beef stock powder (optional). Stir it all together and cover. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the ham bone and discard. Drain your diced potatoes and add to your soup.
- Check your soup at this point for seasoning. Add more spices, salt and/or pepper as needed. Lastly, slice up your left over slices of ham and add them to the soup.
- If you prefer a thicker soup, add your corn starch slurry now, stirring constantly until thick. Remove the bay leaves and enjoy.
Hina Zahid (2019) Ham Bone Broth - Source of Good Health For Heart. http://specialy.medicaldialogues.in
Rachel Link (2022), Benefits of Drinking Bone Broth Every Day. Ancientnutrition.com
Whether it's Sweet or Savoury, let it be made with Love!