This stew is thick and creamy and full of comforting flavors that the whole family can enjoy. With meat, vegetable, noodles and a savory thick beef broth plus of course and sprinkle of cheese on top, its sure to impress your taste buds. I made this for my family for dinner the other night and my middle child doesn't often eat much for dinner. To my surprise she had 2 helpings of this and thanked me several times for dinner. Apparently she enjoyed it! Even my 1 year ate it. Feel free to adjust and add whatever your favorite seasonings and spices you like. The secret to a well cooked meal is taste it as you go.
TIPS AND TRICKS
- After peeling and dicing your potatoes, place them in a bowl and cover with cool water to remove excess start and prevent them from turning pink while you prepare the rest of the stew.
- You might wonder why I have one carrot diced and one shredded. Adding shredded carrots adds a lot of flavor to your broth base. They somewhat disappear into the mix but add so much depth of flavor, its worth the extra step.
- I use CORN STARCH in this recipe to create a slurry for thickening. Simply dissolve your corn starch in equal parts milk (or water) and corn starch, stir it together and add it to your simmering stew. You want to be sure you stir it all together for a minute or 2 until thickened. If you add this to the pot and don't stir right away, you will be left with a thick blob in the middle of your stew.
- Feel free to stir some shredded cheese right into the pot and melt it all together. Just be sure to remove your pot from the heat and allow it to stop simmering first. If cheese is added to hot liquid it can separate causing your broth to become gritty.
- 1 lb Ground Beef and pork (60/40)
- 1 Carton Beef Broth
- 1 Tbsp Beef Stock Powder
- 2 Cups Milk
- 2 Large Peeled carrots, 1 Diced, 1 Shredded
- 2 Medium Potatoes, Peeled and Diced (soak in water)
- 1 Can of Sliced Mushrooms ( or 2 cups sliced fresh)
- 1 Large Onion, Diced
- 6 Cloves Garlic, Peeled and Minced
- 1 Tbsp Dried Parsley
- 1 Tbsp Dried Basil
- 1 Tsp Dried Sage
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/8 Tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 2 Cups Shell Noodle (or macaroni)
- 2 Tbsp Corn Starch (for thickening)
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese For Topping
- Add to a large pot your ground beef and a pinch of salt and pepper. sauté until cooked, then remove from pot and set aside.
- Add in your diced onion, and mushrooms frying for 2 to 3 minutes, then add your minced garlic stirring constantly to avoid burning. Return beef to the pot and add in your beef broth, beef stock powder, milk, diced and shredded carrots, Worcestershire sauce and spices. Simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Drain your diced potatoes and add them to the pot. Cover and simmer, cooking until potatoes and carrots are fork tender.
- Meanwhile, boil salted water for your pasta noodles. Once boiling, add your noodles and cook just under al dente.
- Dissolve your corn starch in approximately 2 tablespoons of cold milk then add to your simmer stew. Stir it all together until thickened. Check your stew for flavor and see if additional spices or salt and pepper are needed. Lastly add your cooked noodles, then serve it hot adding a handful of shredded cheese on top.
Whether it's Sweet or Savoury, let it be made with love!