Updated: Dec 18, 2022
These cookies have quickly become one of my new favorites. A little crunch on the outside, yet chewy in the middle, filled with warm and comforting spices, perfectly balanced with a little bit of sugar. It's the perfect bite. These make a great addition to your holiday dessert table but can also help settle your tummy. I enjoyed these with my first pregnancy to help ease my nausea. They also make your house smell amazing. If Christmas had a smell, it would be these cookies.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
-1/2 cup granular sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp powdered ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granular sugar to roll cookies with.
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. - Stir in eggs and vanilla. Add molasses. Whip for 1 to 2 minutes until it turns light brown.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a separate bowl, then add to wet mixture. Stir just until combined. (This is a sticky batter and will be easier to work with if chilled for 20 min before shaping however this is not mandatory.)
- Shape into balls and drop into sugar to coat. (TIP: I used 2 tablespoons to shape into a near ball shape, then dropped them into a bowl of sugar to coat. Then I shape it into a more refined ball with my hands. The sugar made it less sticky to handle).
- Place cookies onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7 to 9 minutes just until the edges of the cookies are cooked but the center is still soft.
- Cool for 5 min of cookie sheet before transferring to a cooking rack.
- Store in an air tight container.
Whether it's Sweet or Savoury, let it be made with love love.