This recipe was created after baking a batch of chocolate cupcakes and forgetting the sugar. Instead of wasting an entire batch, I came up with this recipe. It turned out to be a delicious accident. With a crunchy brown sugar topping, and a cream cheese drizzle over a warm chocolate cake/brownie like bread pudding, this accident will definitely be done on purpose nest time. Sometimes mistakes happen and Ii was cringing at the thought of wasting all those ingredients. Since the cupcakes had no sugar, I immediately compared the flavoring to bread and thought hmmm... lets try making this into a bread pudding! I am happy to say it was a success! Taste tested and approved by a few of my friends who were over for a dinner party. Memories were definitly made with this recipe, what memorys will you make?
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cups Buttermilk ( to make add 1 1/2 tbsp vinegar to a measuring cup then fill until your reach 1 1/2 cups with milk, stir then let sit 5 min)
- 3/4 cups fresh brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 Fahrenheit allowing it to be at that temperature for at least 10 minutes before putting your cake in the oven. Prepare a rectangular baking pan by spraying with non stick spray lining with parchment paper.
- Mix together your all purpose flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in your stand mixer with the whisk attachment on low speed until combined.
- Next add eggs one at a time, then your buttermilk, oil, vanilla and brewed coffee. Beat together on medium speed until combined and smooth. Approximately 2 minutes. Don't over mix!
- Pour into your prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until a tooth pick comes out clean. Allow to rest in pan for 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack and set aside.
Chocolate Crunch Bread Pudding:
- Prepared Chocolate Bread, Diced into 1 inch cubes
- 2 Cups Whipping Cream (or milk)
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Vanilla
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar (For Topping)
For The Cream Cheese Drizzle:
- 3 Tbsp Cream Cheese
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Dice up your cooled chocolate bread and set aside.
- To a large bowl mix together, cream, sugar, eggs, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon. Then add your bread cubes to the bowl and stir together. Set aside in the fridge for at least 20 minutes to absorb the liquids.
- Remove your bowl with soaked bread from the fridge, and stir in your chocolate chips. Pour into a deep rectangular pan and sprinkle the top with a layer of brown sugar. (feel free to add on a few extra chocolate chips as well)
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes until liquids are no longer visible but bread is still moist.
- While the bread pudding bakes, prepare the cream cheese drizzle. Mix together the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, powdered sugar and milk using a hand mixer. Once smooth set aside.
- Remove your cooked bread pudding from the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Then drizzle your cream cheese frosting over the top.
- Serve Hot
Whether it's Sweet or Savoury, let it be made with Love!