Updated: Mar 1, 2022
This tangy Chili is probably just like the one your mom use to make. Perfect on a cold day, for a party or to put on top of your hot dog. Growing up Chili was the go to meal my mom made on wood day. We grew up with a wood furnace which meant we need lots of firewood to keep us warm on the winter months. I can't say I overly enjoyed cutting, splitting, and stacking wood, but I do remember working up an appetite and looking forward to a nice warm bowl of Chili at the end of the day. My sister despises mushrooms and would have to pick those out before she could eat hers. Then she would add a mountain of ground pepper and salt. My mom always cut up cheese in little cubes to put on top making little cheese bombs in your mouth as you eat. Somthing I have continued to enjoy. What do you like on top of yours? A dollop of spur cream perhaps, or just as is.
1lb of ground beef pork mix
1 can diced tomato's
1 can spaghetti sauce
1 can sliced mushrooms
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed.
1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed OR chick pea and navy bean mix
1 head of garlic peeled and minced
2 medium onions diced
2 stalks of celery finely chopped
1 bell pepper diced
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tbsp Chili powder
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tbsp parsley
1 tbsp oregano
- Sauté beef pork mix in large pot. Add diced onions and mushrooms.
- If you wish to use a crock pot, pour meat mixture into crock pot now or continue cooking on the stove top in a large pot.
- Add minced garlic, celery, drained canned beans and chick peas, canned diced tomato's, diced peppers, spaghetti sauce, and spices.
- Cover and let simmer for 1 to 3 hours stirring occasionally.
- For the last 5 to 10 min, partially remove the lid from your pot to allow it to thicken up a bit.
- Dice up some cheese to drop on top.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
Whether it's Sweet or Savoury, let it be made with love.
To see the video follow this link to my you tube channel "Sweet and Savoury @hollysrecipes22" . https://youtube.com/shorts/wU71VOYyUvY?feature=share