Updated: Sep 7
This deep fried chicken is perfectly seasoned, crispy and super juicy. By double dredging with a well seasoned flour, followed by an egg wash, the results are nothing short of perfection. Although many people believe fried chicken is American its original origins might surprise you. "English cook Hannah Glasse had the first published fried chicken recipe in 1747. However, the earliest stories of fried chicken are thousands of years old. They come from China, the Middle East, and West Africa"
It is believed that the Scottish were the first Europeans to deep fry un battered chicken in fat (Wikipedia). Over the years chicken recipes have been changed with several different cooking methods and an assortment of herbs and spices to suit any palate.
- 4 to 6 Chicken Breast
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp Basil
- 1/2 Tbsp Parsley
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- 1 Tbsp Seasoning Salt
- 1 Tsp Dried Mustard Powder
- 1 Tbsp Paprika
- 1/8 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 Cup Corn Starch
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 4 Eggs, Beaten and a splash of milk
- Pre heat your oil in your deep fryer or stove top pot to 350 F.
- Pat chicken breast dry with a paper towel, and set aside.
- Beat eggs and milk together in a separate bowl and set aside.
- To another bowl, add your dry ingredients and blend together.
- Dredge chicken in dry bowl first, then shake off any excess. Next dredge in your egg wash, also shaking off excess. Then repeat.
- Deep fry for 10 to 12 minutes and no longer pink inside.
- Once cooked, remove from deep fryer and place on a cooling rack for 2 minutes to allow excess oil to drip off. (tent with tin foil to keep hot)
Whether it's Sweet or Savoury, let it be made with Love!