Updated: Nov 2
How to describe these easy homemade cheese sticks...hmm...lets go with Ooey gooey cheesy, crispy goodness! I have a serious soft spot for cheese. It truly makes everything better. Having a bad day? Eat a cheese stick. Needing some comfort food? You need a cheese stick. Having a get together with friends? They probably would love some cheese sticks. This recipe is super easy to make and is very similar to my "Deep Fried Pickle" recipe. The challenge with cheese sticks is they often explode and your left with a bunch of breading and no cheese. Talk about a lunch bag let down. The secret to solving this problem is to freeze the cheese! Freezing the cheese allows the breading enough time to become crispy before the cheese melts.
We all have different preferences on what kinds of cheeses we like, and making them yourself means you can choose any flavor you like. Of course the classic is a super stretchy mozzarella cheese, which is my all time favorite, but I will say using a medium cheddar was really tasty as well. What's your favorite?
TIPS AND TRICKS - Freeze your cheese for at least an hour before deep frying to prevent the cheese from melting too quickly and oozing out into your oil.
- Using cheese strings will give you the best result if you love good "cheese pull." However you can use regular brick cheese as well. Use cheddar mozzarella or whatever else you desire. Your the cook, so you get to decide.
- Feel free to make a different flavored aioli or go the classic route with marinara sauce.
6 Cheese Strings Cut in Half, (freeze for 1 hour)
Vegetable Oil for Frying
For The Flour Dredge:
1/4 Cup Flour
2 Tbsp Corn Starch
Pinch Salt and Pepper
2 Eggs, Whipped
1/4 Cup Water
For the Breading:
1/2 Cup Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs
1/2 Cup Panko Crumbs
Pinch Salt and Pepper
Pinch Cayenne Pepper (optional)
1/4 Cup Mayonnaise
1 1/2 Tbsp Dill
1 Tsp Lemon Juice
- Cut your cheese string in half. Place in a sealed container and freeze for at least 1 hour
- Set out 4 small bowls
- Warm the vegetable oil to 350 F in a small pot or deep fryer.
- To one bowl add the flour, corn starch, salt and pepper, then whisk together.
- To a second bowl, whip your eggs and water together.
- In your third bowl, combine panko, seasoned bread crumbs, cayenne pepper, salt and
- Next prepare you aioli by combing the mayo, dill, salt and lemon juice. Then refrigerate
until ready to use.
- Place your bowls up in order of flour, eggs then bread crumb mix. Coat the frozen cheese in flour first and shake off any excess. Then coat in eggs, then lastly in the bread crumb mix.
- Deep fry until crispy and golden brown.
- Serve hot along side your dill aioli.
Whether it's Sweet or Savoury, let it be made with Love!