Updated: Sep 6
Looking to use up some extra carrots? look no further, this delicious carrot cake recipe is for you. This cake produces a moist crumb and has notes of cinnamon and brown sugar flavor. Top it off with some Swiss meringue cinnamon cream cheese frosting and commence the inability to stop eating. This recipe includes 3 recipes, the carrot cake, swiss meringue buttercream and lastly the cream cheese frosting. The 2 frostings get combined in the end but require different methods of preparation.
2 cups all purpose flour 2 tsp baking soda 1/2 tsp salt 2 Tbsp ground cinnamon 1 ¼ cups vegetable oil 1 cup granulated sugar 1 cup packed brown sugar 1 tsp vanilla extract 4 large eggs, room temp 3 cups peeled and shredded carrots
Directions: - Preheat your oven to 350 F. Grease and line (parchment paper to bases) three 8 inch pans or two 9 inch pans and set aside.
- Add to your stand mixer the oil, sugar and vanilla. Whisk it all together until combined and smooth. Next add your eggs one at a time allowing each egg to incorporate into the mixture before adding the next.
- To a large bowl blend together your dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon).
- Fold in your dry ingredients, once fully combined, fold in your shredded carrots.
- Divide batter into prepared pans. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until a tooth pic inserted comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to rest for 5 to 10 minutes in the pans before turning out onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool fully before layering and adding frosting.
Swiss Meringue Cream Cheese Frosting
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
4 Large Egg White
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 Cup Unsalted Butter
1/4 Tsp Cream of Tartar
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- Set up stand mixer with whisk attachment
- Add granular sugar, egg whites, and cream of tartar to double boiler or may use a pot of water and a heat safe bowl on top.
- Continually whisk sugar and egg mixture on double boiler until sugar is completely dissolved and appears opaque. Be sure to keep whisking or you will end up with scrambled eggs. (check by rubbing a few drops between your fingers. If there are no granules felt, it is done).
- Once sugar is dissolved, removed from heat and pour it into your stand mixer. Gradually increase the speed from low speed, to medium and then to medium high (6 or 8), over a 2 minute period. Then let it whip away until completely cooled. This may take 30minutes or so.
- Once the meringue has cooled, change to the paddle attachment and add your butter in chunks. Whip on medium high speed until it is smooth and comes together. Beat for an extra minute or too then add your vanilla.
- Set aside as we will be adding the cream cheese frosting to this once it has been combined.
Cream Cheese Frosting
1 3/4 Cups Powdered Sugar, Sifted
1/2 Cup, Unsalted Butter, room temp
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
125g/ Half ad Brick of Plane Cream Cheese
2 Tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- Add all your ingredients to your stand mixer and blend together just until combined and smooth. DO NOT OVER BEAT, as it will become grained and watery.
- Once smooth, add in your prepared Swiss meringue buttercream and whip them together just until combined (Always taste your food. If you wish for your buttercream to be more tangy add an extra chunk or too of cream cheese and blend together until smooth)
- Fill and frost your carrot cake and refrigerate immediately. This will be more stable then a typical cream cheese frosting but will need time to cool to firm up.
TIP: Warm up the leftover carrot cake in the microwave and add a thin layer of butter. The butter with melt right into the cake and the cream cheese frosting will melt and taste reminiscing of a cinnamon bun.
I hope you enjoy this carrot cake with cream cheese frosting as much I did!
Whether it's Sweet and Savoury, let it be made with Love!