Updated: Feb 20, 2022
This is a classic chicken pot pie with a creamy chicken gravy, chunks of chicken and vegetables, and a flakey pie crust. Baked until golden brown and the velvety smooth gravy drips out the sides. I love to make these in individual portions and freeze them to eat another day. When I had my first daughter, I made a double batch of these guys and tucked them away in the freezer for easy quick meals to have after she was born. Well the day came, and after we got home, I went to get some chicken pot pies for dinner. To my surprise, they were no where to be found. Turns out Bryan didn't hear me say they were for after the baby was born and he was taking them to work in his lunch. Glad he enjoyed them but not going to say I was overly pleased. Selective memory at its best. So many memories with food. Would love to hear some of your memories in the comments.
- 3 Celery Stalks (1 cup)
- 3 Carrots Peeled and diced
- 3 Potatoes Peeled and Diced
- 1 Large Onion, Diced
- 4 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas
- 4 Cups chicken Broth
- 2 Chicken Breast, diced
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tsp Parsley
- 1 Tsp Basil
- 1 Tsp thyme
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 Bay leaves
- 3 Tbsp Corn Starch
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 Egg White for Egg Washing the Crust
- 1 "Super Flakey Pie Crust" see my recipe https://hollysrecipes.wixsite.com/sweetandsavoury/post/super-flakey-pie-crust
- "Prepare Super Flakey Pie Crust".
- Wash, peel and dice carrots, potatoes. finely dice celery and onions. Mince garlic cloves and dice chicken in small cubes
- Add butter to a large pot and sauté chicken until browned adding salt and pepper. Remove once cooked and add onions. sauté until translucent.
- Add garlic. add celery, carrots and potatoes and chicken broth.
- Return chicken to the pot and add spices.
- Simmer until Vegetables are tender.
- Add milk
- Make a slurry using water and corn starch 1:1 ratio. Start with 2 Tbsp and add additional if needed. Add the slurry bringing it up to a boil. stirring constantly until thickened.
- Remove Bay Leaves and check the taste to see if additional salt or pepper is needed.
- Add frozen peas at the very end.
- Pour into your prepared pie dish with your pie crust lining the pan.
- Fill just over 3/4 the way full, and top with more pastry dough.
- Bake at 400 F for approximately 15 minutes until pastry is golden brown and the liquid is bubbling
- Remove from oven and allow to rest 5 minutes before consuming
- If you want to make these to save for later, allow the filling to cool completely then add to your pie dough. Then seal in an air tight container or freezer bag and and freeze until a later day. You can also freeze after baking, but reduce baking time by 5 minutes.
Whether its Sweet or Savoury, let it be made with love!