Updated: May 24, 2022
Swiss Meringue Buttercream is my absolute favorite buttercream. It yields a super smooth and creamy texture, that is not too sweet and pillowy soft in texture. It holds up great on cakes or cupcakes, colors well, and can be flavored however you desire. In this recipe we explore the chocolate version, which is made by adding chocolate ganache. I refuse to eat buttercream that taste like butter and sugar and hurts your teeth to eat. No gritty, cringe worthy frosting here! People will actually want to eat this icing instead of leaving it behind on the plate. Give this recipe, or one of the my other flavor combinations a try, and let me know what you think in the comments.
TIPS AND TRICK:
- One tip for making your buttercream less buttery tasting, is to
continue whipping your buttercream for a few minutes after it has come together. This will also make the buttercream appear whiter in color. I prefer to use unsalted butter as i find it has a less buttery taste, but salted may be used as well.
- If you are looking for a smooth consistency for covering cakes and decorating, switch to the paddle attachment when adding the butter. This will remove the air bubbles that developed from whipping the egg whites.
-Be sure to not get any grease or egg yolks on your utensils or mixing bowl, as this will prevent the meringue from forming stiff peaks.
- Keep whipping the egg whites until cool before adding the butter. This may take a while (approx 30min). if needed you may place the mixing bowl in the fridge for a few minutes once it has started to show stiff peaks.
- If it appears lumpy when adding the butter, that is OK, this will happen, keep whipping and it will become smooth and creamy in no time.
- If you have refrigerated your icing to use later, place it back in your mixing bowel and warm up the side of the bowl with hot water until the outer edges are starting to melt then begin to whip. 2nd option is to microwave a cup of the buttercream until soften and then add to the remaining buttercream and whip away, 3rd option allow it to come back up to room temperature.
- Want Different Flavors? Go for it! Add a 1/4 cup of peanut butter, a few tbsp of freeze dried fruit powder, or some reduces fresh fruit puree. Check out my other recipes for more details. See the bottom for those links.
- Final tip is to have your butter at room temperature but not too warm that its melting, before adding it to the merengue. just warm enough that it can be whipped.
Things you will need - stand mixer with whisk and paddle attachment, and a double boiler or a pot with water in it and a heat safe bowl on top.
1 Cup butter (room temperature and cubed)
3 to 4 Tbsp Chocolate Ganache (Recipe Link at the bottom)
1 Cup granular sugar
4 Egg Whites
1 Tsp vanilla
1/4 Tsp cream of tartar
- Over a double boiler whisk together your egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar until sugar is completely dissolved. Approximately 4 to 5 min.
- Transfer to Mixer with whisk attachment and gradually increase speed to medium high speed over a 2 min period. Continue whipping until cool before adding the butter. (once stiff peaks have formed, may place it in the fridge for a bit to speed up the cooling process or just keep whipping.)
- Once egg whites have cooled, switch to paddle attachment. (this removes air bubbles from the buttercream and gives a smoother finish)
- Add cubed, room temperature butter to your egg whites starting on low speed and gradually increasing to medium high speed (approximately 2 min). Continue whipping until cooled.
- If it looks like it is separating, it is not, just keep whipping and it will come together.
-Next add your vanilla and chocolate ganache and beat together until incorporated. Add 3 to 4 TBSP or more until desired taste.
- Spread or fill your cakes, or top your cupcakes with it and enjoy.
Check out my you tube channel to see how Swiss Meringue Buttercream is made. (video is showing my raspberry swiss meringue but it is the same method except you add Chocolate ganache instead).
YOU TUBE channel: "Sweet and Savoury @hollysrecipes22"
Raspberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Vanilla Swiss Meringue Buttercream and technique
CHOCOLATE GANACHE RECIPE:
SMOOTH AND CREAMY SWISS MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM SEE THIS RECIPE FOR DETAILED TIPS AND TRICKS ON MAKING SWISS MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM
STRAWBERRY SWISS MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM:
PEANUT BUTTER SWISS MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM:
ULTIMATE RICH CHOCOLATE CAKE:
WHTIE CLOUD CAKE:
Whether its Sweet or Savoury, let it be made with love.